The Sea Star Ocean Classroom Program is a unique floating laboratory for young marine scientist. Science students, youth and family groups are invited to join us aboard the Sea Star for a fun filled voyage as we discover the ecological treasures of the sea. Our “student explorers” will investigate the biological and physical properties of local ocean waters – an exceptional “hands on” learning experience everyone can enjoy.
- Discover by “hands-on” examination many living marine specimens sampled from the ocean floor with the use of an otter trawl net.
- Study micro-organisms collected with a plankton trawl net and examined by using a color video microscope with LCD monitor.
- Observe and learn details about marine birds and mammals and their habitat.
- Measure marine environmental conditions with oceanographic instruments.
- Enjoy an “affordable” field trip that departs from nearby Oceanside Harbor.
- Receive an advance copy of a detailed teachers manual and activities guide.
Each 4-hour excursion aboard the 60-foot Sea Star includes on-board stations where students learn an appreciation for marine life, ecosystems, and how their daily lives connect to the sea. This is sure to be a fun and exciting day of discovery!